Diebold Nixdorf’s source environment, hosted at Rackspace, was overprovisioned, too expensive, and did not offer the flexibility or scalability they required. Diebold was looking for a new solution with flexibility, scalability, and cost control. AWS had engaged with Diebold and was selected as their hyperscale cloud platform. When AWS engaged WSM, Diebold was searching for a third-party partner to advise, architect, migrate, and support their AWS footprint.
WSM was not the first AWS partner introduced to Diebold. Dissatisfied with the approach of previous AWS partners, Diebold choose WSM because we built a high-trust relationship. By providing a free consultation and being highly responsive to addressing client questions and needs, we demonstrated our expertise and built confidence with the client.
WSM answered all of Diebold’s questions regarding how AWS works, and invested the time to learn what their business needed in order to architect the right solution.
Lastly, Diebold required on-going managed services which WSM has been delivering to clients for more than a decade, making the relationship a good fit from all sides.
Planning & Discovery
WSM provided Diebold with planning and advisory, architecture, discovery, security, and risk management recommendations and migration services for one website across two environments, production and UAT, hosted at Rackspace.
The source environment consisted of:
• Two production web servers
• One production content management server
• Two production database servers (one cluster)
• One QA management server
• One dev management server
• One QA database server
WSM migrated all servers to AWS, including all related services, databases, modules, and scripts. WSM architected and built the AWS VPC environment with CloudFormation templates, initially consisting of three Production servers (two for content delivery and one for content management), one UAT server, including one RDS instance for Production and one RDS instance for UAT.
DevOps Tools Implemented
• Octopus Deploy: To help quickly deploy software into production.
• CloudFormation: To help rapidly build new server environments as needed.
• EC2 Scheduler: To reduce overall operating costs and turn off staging environment when not in use.
Post-migration, WSM is providing managed services that include:
• 24/7/365 monitoring and incident response
• IAM user and role management
• VPC and security group management
• OS patching management
• Cost optimization
• Monthly health checks and vulnerability assessments
• WSM’s suite of automation and governance: CloudFormation template management, EBS Snapshot lifecycle management, resource cost management, etc.
- Successfully migrated all servers to AWS while building an AWS VPC environment with CloudFormation
- Improved client’s environment’s flexibility, scalability, and cost control
- Continued managed services relationship with a team that already is familiar with the environment
- Increased software deployment velocity by implementing DevOps tools as part of the migration
About the Client
Diebold Nixdorf is an American company primarily engaged in the sale, manufacture, installation, and service of self-service transaction systems, point-of-sale terminals, physical security products, and software services for financial, retail, and commercial markets. They are the largest provider of ATMs in the United States and control about 35 percent of the global ATM market. Diebold Nixdorf is a partner to 90 of the world’s top 100 financial institutions, and 75 million people interact with Diebold Nixdorf technology each day.